Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LW script problem - UNC names (Read 4174 times)
milau
Ex Member

LW script problem - UNC names
09/15/07 at 21:05:18

Hello
I find your system for IBL surprisingly cool and useful. But I have 2 problems:
- somehow I cannot change the folder for my HDRI /IBL sets ie 'collection'. I moved the folder and tried to change the path in preferences but just got fancy error reports. Very stuborn, I had to move the folder back.
- I cannot assign a UNC path (\\Comp1\folder\...) to my collection folder therefore have to manualy tweak the scene file before submitting to render manager or I get 'can't find /thisNthat.hdr.
Maybe I was in too much hurry and overlooked something.
Please can you explain where do you write the settings and is the UNC naming acceptable.
Thank you very much.
cheers, milan

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: LW script problem - UNC names
Reply #1 - 09/15/07 at 21:51:23

What system are you on?

I have no idea what UNC names are... Right now, it always expects a path starting with a drive letter. Something like:

Z:\content\sIBL_Collection

If your path starts like

\\Comp1\folder\...

that might not make it through the path validator. I need that to distinguish Mac and PC paths.

can you give me more info about what error comes up (maybe a line)...

Blochi

IP Logged

milau
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/16/07 at 00:12:16

Uniform Naming Convention
The UNC, short for Universal Naming Convention or Uniform Naming Convention, specifies a common syntax to describe the location of a network resource, such as a shared file, directory, or printer. The UNC syntax for Windows systems is as follows:

\\computername\sharedfolder\resource

where 'computername' is the hostname, 'sharedfolder' is a shared directory with a name chosen by the host providing the share, and 'resource' is a shared directory, file, or printer. The hostname may also be identified by a fully-qualified domain name or by IP address. The 'sharedfolder' may exist anywhere on the remote host system, and is not restricted to the filesystem root directory.
From Wikipedia / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)
This is common in setting up render farm as opposed to mapping drives which is more prone to errors or just cumbersome. LINK: http://www.newtek-europe.com/Stuff/LightWave/Misc/MattGorner_ScreamerNet_Tutoria...
I hope this explains and to here more from you. Thank you for your quick reply.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #3 - 09/16/07 at 01:47:07

OK, got it.

That is certainly a network voodoo I didn't account for - our farm works with mapped drive letters. Since I do not have access to such a UNC setup, can you please help me out tracking some things down?

1. Does the background ball get saved in your objects directory? Automatically, or does it ask you for a location?
2. Does the preference "Copy Images to Content Dir" generate scene files that work out for you?

Blochi

IP Logged

milau
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/16/07 at 11:59:41

1 - 'Where do you want me to save the Background Dome?' the question where to save the sphere, but it starts in the correct root of content dir
2 - 'Messy model Are you sure?' - can't really try because can't set \\content\... path
cheers, milan

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #5 - 09/16/07 at 19:37:11

Thanks. Makes sense.
The fix seems to involve a lot of rewiring in the bowels of the script... But doable.

IP Logged

milau
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/16/07 at 20:29:34

Nice to hear you're optimistic. Hope to hear more from you  Wink
Cheers, milan

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #7 - 09/17/07 at 00:59:30

Well, yeah, to be honest, I don't have the latest source here at home.
And there is some potential tinkering with the paths could break Mac support again... I'll give it a shot tomorrow, but for the DVD release (which I am burning this very moment) I will leave it like it is.

Version 1.1 will have UNC support, definetely.

Blochi

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print