Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
3dsmax script sIBL loader 0.91 (Read 18052 times)
Dschaga
Ex Member

Re: 3dsmax script sIBL loader 0.91
Reply #15 - 12/31/07 at 17:22:12

parameters ..grrrrrrr ..so many words which can say the same! ..we changed the project from SDR (smart dynamic range) to sIBL (smart image based lighting) ..so we had similar problems Wink

I don't think bigger refmaps needs longer to render, but i think most reflections are such distorted that you don't need hires reflectionmaps. ..dunno.

Can you please check again the attached script  .. i have changed finaly the codelayout but don't know if all brazil code is still correct now.
I also added basic MR support.

btw, what do you think about a object like thedaylightsystem, which holds all maps together and when changing northdirection it also changes the U offset..

firework ..HA!

« Last Edit: 12/31/07 at 18:43:05 by N/A »  

sIBL_loader_92_001.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

ZeBoxx
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/31/07 at 20:37:50

looks like it should work fine - not near 3ds Max at the moment, but I'll make sure later.

an object - or utility (scripted objects/helpers/etc. are pretty annoying, especially as they persist in the scene as a plugin definition; custom attributes on some existing node is more friendly) - would be cool, I think.. would make it easier to adjust the various parameters with a single control.

In theory, as all the maps should be using the same offsets  - at least in the case of the plugins that use offset controls - instanced controllers should also work.  Looks like the V-Ray one (horizontalRotation) should be the same type of parameter, so instancing that should also work.  That way you don't 'need' an object/utility, the user can adjust the parameter in one map and it'll be applied to the others automatically.

IP Logged

ZeBoxx
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/01/08 at 13:24:04

Yep - appears to work fine.  Note that the rollout floater title still reads 0.91b2 Smiley

I'd like to add a small change for b2 dome light handling, and I might also give the rest of the script a poking.. I'll post both when I get around to those Smiley  In the mean time, the current one works just fine  Cool

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/01/08 at 19:56:52

Hi Richard!

fine to hear that it still works Wink and feel free to change the script and ehhh... there is something the script is still missing and maybe you (?) also want to add:  gammacorrection.  Roll Eyes
I remember your script here: http://splutterfish.com/forums/showpost.php?p=101596&postcount=5 and want to ask you if this code could be used in the loader

You can access the gammavalues by adding below line 487 and 500 this lines:
Code:
EVgamma = GetINISetting sIBLfile "Enviroment" "EVgamma"
REFgamma = GetINISetting sIBLfile "Reflections" "REFgamma"

anyway, if you feel uncomfortable when working on this script i can add it too when you are ready with your changes.

oh.. instanced controllers ..does this work for VIZ too?

IP Logged

ZeBoxx
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/01/08 at 20:31:05

I think the exposure definition in the IBL file is also missing?
As far as Gamma goes - as you may have noticed, 3ds Max's gamma access is pretty limited... most importantly:
  • You can't turn gamma correction on/off (not sure how they missed this, but they did)
  • You can't specify the gamma value a bitmap is being loaded with

The post you pointed to *could* help, except that it has to work from an existing Output map with a bunch of points pre-setup loaded from an external file.  This can be done - I'm using it for some of our scripts, but:
  • You'll need an external .max file, which basically contains that map (most max versions don't have a built-in Gamma map)
  • Which means you'll need to distribute that ,max along with the script file
  • Which means you'll probably want to switch to an MZP as otherwise you run into installation and user userfriendliness nightmares
  • You would lose support for 3ds Max R3 and R4 and VIZ equivalents - as I currently can't run Max3 to make an output map in that (seeing as it needs to load the map from a max file, and Max 4 can't read Max 5 files, for example).  If you have an older version of Max, you could always create one, of course Smiley

Animated controllers... whoops - no, I don't think VIZ does those.  Silly Autodesk VIZ Wink  A utility or 'custom attribute'd node remain as typical choices, then..

I've attached a copy of the script with my changes; pretty simple changes, commented as usual.  Basically just another preference option to let the Dome Light use either the diffuse ENV map, or the specular REF map (the Dome Light can sample specular HDRs quite efficiently).
And the version number, of course Smiley

As for editing the file - not at all, I'm pretty used to working with others' coding styles Smiley  In the end, though, I do think you should retain main release/version control (perhaps keep the most current one in the first post?), otherwise you end up with some of the usual open source effects - forks aren't always good Smiley  I'll have a poke anyway, and send it back your way.. see what you think.

sIBL_loader_0_92_1_001.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print