Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
3dsmax script sIBL loader 0.91 (Read 17634 times)
Dschaga
Ex Member

3dsmax script sIBL loader 0.91
04/25/07 at 11:13:17

This is the script for 3dsmax, which works with vray, finalrender and brazil.
It is loading *.sdr files and *.ibl files and makes no difference between these extensions.

..but to be honest: it is still beta and version number 0.91 doesn't mean that the final version which understands every sibl-variable is close to be released.

http://sdr.cgtechniques.com//upload/max/sdrscript_beta91.zip

Additonal fullscreen image which shows 3dsmax9 using sIBL:
http://sdr.cgtechniques.com//upload/max/3dsmax_full_screen_sIBL091.png

so ..it works with:
3dsmax r4, r5, r6, r7, r8 and r9
Wink

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: 3dsmax script sIBL loader 0.91
Reply #1 - 04/25/07 at 18:22:10

That's great! Nobody will complain, releasing Beta software has become the norm these days. I think it always was, just now companies actually label it that way in public.

Max looks very sexy, haven't seen it in a while... Smiley

Blochi

IP Logged

moset
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/03/07 at 00:33:47

Will it work with vray 1.5 final?

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/05/07 at 00:15:02

i don't know ..please let me know, i can fix it with your help!

IP Logged

sucka
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/09/07 at 23:27:18

This is a really awesome development, but are all us mental ray users left out in the cold?  Cry
Are we going to see a mental ray supported script any time soon? 

I'm also getting a maxscript error message, I dont know if this is related to the fact that I have a mental ray setup.

I've ordered the HDRI handbook and would love to make full use of sIBL and the scripted tool, but am stuck with mental ray...i would LOVE YOU if support for MR was included in the next revision.. Smiley

SmartIBL_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/12/07 at 21:36:49

Some questions before i begin to code any MR related maxscript line:

How  would you integrate sIBL to mentalray /3dsmax, because i have no idea how MR works in max.

1. Which kind of Lightsource would you want to use? (i can't use the daylightsystem for this..don't ask why ..i know: can't!)

2. In which mapslot should the blurred lowres HDRI Enviromentmap ,used as sky lightsource, be loaded? Does it go into the BG map, but there should be my highres BG map!

3. what happens with the exposure controll ...MR don't respect the "Process Background and enviromentmap" checkbox ..so you always get an processed (black!) BG image.

some problems and since no solution, no intergration yet!

Your bug comes from an empty sIBL library folder... place some sIBL folder in it and it will work.

IP Logged

sucka
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/15/07 at 04:45:59

Quote:
1. Which kind of Lightsource would you want to use? (i can't use the daylightsystem for this..don't ask why ..i know: can't!)

Since I'm on max 8, and not max9 yet, I'm still using the skylight(not the daylight) system. I'm assuming here that the daylight system is the new lightsource starting from version 9. Skylight is what I use to render HDRI. Basically I put an HDRI into a diffuse material slot..and instance that to the background. Then I line up the shot in the viewport with rotating.   Then I copy or instance that material in the map slot to the skylight map.  Turn off the background rendering. I don't use exposure control.  It's turned off.   I dont need the background rendered at all..just the illumination on cg objects is fine. Of course, I can't get reflections this way..unless I use raytracing and "cheat".

Quote:
2. In which mapslot should the blurred lowres HDRI Enviromentmap ,used as sky lightsource, be loaded? Does it go into the BG map, but there should be my highres BG map!

Ok, this blurred background image I usually blur right from within the diffuse slot, since I don't use reflection maps. I know, it's lame, but as you say, mental ray doesn't really have the greatest support for HDRI.  I've gotten some decent results using this hackneyed method, so I'm wondering if it's possible.

I hope anything I've said makes sense. Please let me know if it doesn't. Thank you!

IP Logged

Geisterfahrer

Curious Apprentice

Reply #7 - 12/28/07 at 23:06:39

Great News,

Is it working with Brazil 2?

ATB

G~F

IP Logged

Geisterfahrer

Curious Apprentice

Reply #8 - 12/29/07 at 02:21:53

Just tested the new beta script with B2 Pro beta build, its crashing prolly hanging up on some of the new stuff . One of the guy's is going to take a look at it and see what's up. bbiab

ATB

G~F

IP Logged

ZeBoxx
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/30/07 at 03:07:02

Greetings,

I've taken a peek at the script and added Brazil r/s v2 support and fixed some oddities that were present for Brazil r/s v1 as well.  As I understand it, the original author hasn't responded to any inquiries so I'll post the file here.  Please note that this is a version which I edited and is outside of Christian's version control and release schedule.  I'll be sure to e-mail Christian as well and hopefully get a response*** Smiley

other things poked:
  • b2: Added Brazil r/s v2 support
    • With a preference option to use Sky Light, Dome Light (b2 pro/beta), or Both (with Dome Light disabled)
  • b1/b2: Added SDR-REF support for both Brazil r/s v1 and v2.  As neither Brazils have a mapped reflection environment override at this time (v2 will soon), this is achieved by creating a big sphere.  Hacky, but works just fine and beats not having HDR reflections or using the HDR map as the background image (as the SDR-REF file tends to be lower in resolution than the SDR-BG files in the IBL files provided, for some reason).
  • b1/b2: Added code to make sure Sky Light isn't using the Environment Map
  • b1/b2: Fixed a code error.  U_Mirror = true should have been U_Tiling = -1.*
  • b1/b2: Removed the addition of 90 (int) to U_Offset for SDR-ENV and SDR-REF.  U_Offset isn't in degrees; it maps 0..360 degrees to 0.0f .. 1.0f instead.  The value '90' essentially had no ill effect, but was superfluous in this form.  Suspect an addition of 90 degrees was intended; though I am not sure why - it makes SDR-ENV and SDR-REF not match SDR-BG**
  • Changed a bit of German text to English (Beschreibung -> Description)
  • Changed the default height of the rollout floater a bit to fit the rollouts more tightly.
  • my eyeballs... oie.***

* A note to finalRender users: One of the oddities I fixed is the use of U_Mirror in the skylight (SDR-ENV) and reflection (SDR-REF) sources.  I'm going to guess that this was intended to match the V-Ray HDR map "horizontalFlip" parameter.  However, this actually creates a mirrored effect in maps using the standard 3ds Max UVgen.  The correct setting is U_Tiling = -1 .  I highly suspect that results for finalRender 'as is' are thus incorrect as well, but I can't know this for certain - a finalRender user may wish to check.

** According to the specs' ( http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/formatspecs.html ) Syntax Definitions page, the values assigned here are floats, which should mean 0.0f .. 1.0f range for mapping to 0..360 degrees.  Can't be sure, as the IBL files I downloaded all use a *u and *v of 0.0 anyway.

*** As I understand it, the author (Christian) has been unresponsive to inquiries, and it looks like the script did not leave the beta stage from back in '04.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

sdrscript_beta91b2.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Geisterfahrer

Curious Apprentice

Reply #10 - 12/30/07 at 05:16:43

Smiley Fantastic!
Thx Richard I'll get to testing it out.....

ATB

G~F
Helo

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/30/07 at 12:25:54

Hi all,

i tried something with MR (which is still not working well) - this is the reason why the next beta wasn't ready before Richard corrected some code.

Anyway..
I'm not happy anymore with the code structure of 0.91: It was logical for the tasks (1. set sun, 2. set BG, 3. set env..). The problem is that the code for one single renderer like Brazil was fragmentet.

The next script will be splittet in subscripts for the renderer and inside each subscript you will have the taskrelated structure for ONE renderer. This will make it easier for others to change or add rendersetting.

Richard, i'm happy that you have a look at the script and added the brazil and fR settings, since i only have vray and not any other renderer!

Here some hints:
  • The sIBL format is based on bitmapcoords and we decided to use U,V(ertical) coords on the bitmap to transform or offset the bitmaps to take place. We also define the sunposition with U,V coords and let the script calculate the position in 3d space.
  • The HDR reflections are usefull and makes - even if smaller - really the difference.ATM the script tries to scan materials for the reflectionmap channel and *replace* the refmap with the sIBL refmap, but i think having a sphere with the mapped refmap is even better and not destructive.
  • About float: some older sIBL's(/sdr's) uses "BGv = 0" instead of "BGv = 0.0000", but it makes no difference to the script since it only places what it get to the mapslot offsetvalue.

btw.. Richard, where can i download your script? If you don't mind, i will restructure a new beta in subscripts - based on your script. Smiley

IP Logged

ZeBoxx
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/30/07 at 14:17:05

Hi Dschaga,

Good to know you're still working on it.  From looking at it, it does need an overhaul ( getting the filename out of the listbox's display string is funny though Wink ).  You can download the copy with the changes I made from my previous post; should be a link to the attachment in the bottom.

To address some specific points:
- I didn't touch the finalRender code, actually, as I'm not sure whether it is correct or incorrect.  A finalRender user would have to make sure.  I do suspect, however, that the code changes I made for Brazil r/s in terms of mirroring the bitmap (U_Mirror = true -> U_Tiling = -1.0) is correct - as that is the only way it would match the SDR-BG map
- *u and *v float vs non-float; wasn't really the issue Smiley  The issue was whether it was an 0.0f .. 1.0f range, or a 0 .. 360 degree range.  From the Specs page it looks like it's 0.0f .. 1.0f, so should be all good.
- HDR reflection maps are, of course, awesome.  The bit I'm curious about is why the original HDR isn't kept 'as is' for the background -and- reflections, both.  Right now there's a high resolution LDR image for the background, and a lower resolution HDR for reflections; so you lose something in both?

Not sure if you got my e-mail - but if you have any questions regarding my code changes - just let me know Smiley

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/30/07 at 19:19:17

The script growed up from a prove of concept thing ..with all the errors ..and workarounds (like the way to get the filename Wink  )

The mainproblem with max is that there are really to many renderer and many users who request support for their renderer without having the DIY spirit.  .. i don't want to buy all renderer or dL any demos/lite versions just for checking out how it works or how i could use it with sIBL.

There is also a different problem coming from each software itself - at least vray has a very inconsequent namingconvention for maxscript params and not ony that, paramnames are changing from version to version. ..so you not only have to code for each renderer, but also sometimes for each version of theis renderer: Vray 1.09x,1.4x,1.5(?) , Brazil1, Brazil2, fRstage1, stage2 (?) ...

So, this is where i have to create a script and coding enviroment for uses who want and hopefully can contribute. At the moment it was a prove of concept; now with serious support request i have to rethink it.  Undecided

btw ..why LDR/HDR combo: We wanted small downloads, less memoryusage and fast rendertimes. Big HDR's needs too much memory and - at least vray - needs more time to render. So we use a really smal hdr for the enviroment lightning (~100kb?), a somehow bigger(512-1024px) HDR for the reflections and not for the lightning (~500-1500kb) and the JPG in full glory( up to 6000px and more) and a downloadsize of less then 3-4mb. So the full download is between 5-7mb for a sceneenviroment which is compairable to a 6000px HDR and somehow 15+ mb.

Richard, i got your mail, but thought it's good to stay public for this part of conversation. Smiley

Happy new year!

IP Logged

ZeBoxx
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/31/07 at 15:25:32

Howdy Smiley

parameters - yeah, I hear ya.  We try to keep ours consistent, but obviously there's fair differences between b1 and b2.. we'll try not to change them in b2.1, 2.2, etc. though Smiley

hdr/jpg - gotcha.. odd that it would take longer to render with a higher res HDR for reflections; if for lighting - yeah, too much detail.. blurry maps ftw... or b2's dome light, of course

And yeah - people who want support for their renderer should at least supply the bare minimum of information on their renderer, in terms of script parameters and limitations, in order to add support; either that, or write to the renderer developers and have them do it ( such as in our case Smiley ).

Happy New Year in advance to you, too - be careful with fireworks Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print