Send Topic Print
sIBLedit .99 (Read 16665 times)
tischbein3
Ex Member

sIBLedit .99
04/19/07 at 01:55:28

New version, nothing real new included, except name change
(sIBL instead of sdr)
(bg-gamma will be integrated in later versions: there simply too many question marks related to it (sorry)

important notice:
The file path of the ibl folder has to be reentered after updating.

www.splotchdog.com/sIBLEdit.zip

if anyone encounter something serious, need a feature, post it.

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Re: sIBLedit .99
Reply #1 - 04/27/07 at 13:22:33

hi,

Great!!!!!

if you don't mind, i would like to point you to some issues i have found ..just for your next codingsessions:

* what about hidden backward compatibility to the sdr format. Maybe you can still trace for sdr files.

* the UI looks very slick, but i think there should be at least a basic usability:

+ I can't see the difference between UI elements and buttons. What about an rollover effect to let the user know where the magic starts. ..i miss the habtic feeling.

+ The convert hdr to sIBL dialoge can be enhanced by an indicator, which gives you feedback when the tool is calculating the changes.

+ It would also make sense to work not in full resolution, but in screenresolution(300x150px) with a proxy image for faster feedback and then apply the changes of the icon, bg, ref and env at once. ..just like offline editing (or my pc is too slow *g*)

+ At the moment the Importscript is working on the changed file, this means, when i blur the file to 100 i can't go back to blur 1, because it will blur the blured. Maybe with the idea of this proxy/dummy system we can avoid such problems.

(A) Original -> copy and resize to (B)
Then create (B).icon, (B).BG (B).ENV (B).REF for the UI
When a parameter is changed by the user you only have to change the file (B) for example

When finished we create the result based on (A) and the parameters of (B).x

anyway... my 2c.

+ I also think we should give the UI more space. The elements are to close together. Think in groups of elements:

---
Filename
Filetype
---
Size
Projectiontype
---
Tonemapping
Filter
Blur
---

+ I want to suggest to let the user define the FROMprojectiontype ONLY in the Originalpanel and the TOprojectiontype in the other panels.

To be honest, it makes only little sense to change the projection individually, so if i would be consequent, i would let the user only transform projection in the original panel for all other parts of the sibl.
This would solve the problem of the bug with remapping and Size change of the image (Vcross -> Long/lat)

+ I think the default Filetype values should be set to JPG and HDR or set in the configuration.

that's it  Smiley

greetings,
chris

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #2 - 04/27/07 at 16:41:08

Well, I kind of like that toolbox style. You can apply any change in any order, do a small blur first with Bloom, and a bigger one without. When you Alt-Click Apply, it previews the change, and a small "Undo" Icon appears. And in any case you can get back to the original with the Reset button.

Everything is realtime on my machine.
The defaults are great for local sIBLs. EXR has better color preservation, and TGA is simply production standard for uncompressed.

Blochi

IP Logged

tischbein3
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/27/07 at 17:55:22

hi chris,

Quote:
hi,

if you don't mind, i would like to point you to some issues i have found ..just for your next codingsessions:

Thats great, in fact such stuff is always welcome and helps a lot

Quote:
* what about hidden backward compatibility to the sdr format. Maybe you can still trace for sdr files.

+ I can't see the difference between UI elements and buttons. What about an rollover effect to let the user know where the magic starts. ..i miss the habtic feeling.

+ The convert hdr to sIBL dialoge can be enhanced by an indicator, which gives you feedback when the tool is calculating the changes.

Good suggestions, and shouldn't be difficult to be implemented....

Quote:
+ It would also make sense to work not in full resolution, but in screenresolution(300x150px) with a proxy image for faster feedback and then apply the changes of the icon, bg, ref and env at once. ..just like offline editing (or my pc is too slow *g*)

Yeah, one of the "headache features"

in fact I've been thinking of this since I started the importer,
and its "partially" implemented. (The al+leftclick preview feature)

problem with such a feature request is:
- I either have to implement some sort of history
(to avoid problems like if you would blur the image twice, etc)
or change the whole philosophy behind the editing
(The acutal setting is the final settings applied.)

both need some rewrite, and both have advantages / disadvantages.
so this is certainly a longterm issue (sorry)

Quote:
+ I also think we should give the UI more space. The elements are to close together. Think in groups of elements:

Right, Reorder and investing few pixels more will be done.

Quote:
+ I want to suggest to let the user define the FROMprojectiontype ONLY in the Originalpanel and the TOprojectiontype in the other panels.

Yes sounds reasonable Smiley
mhmm... what about adding an FROM/TO projection option to the original image so you can apply them to all images ?
and as for the first step, (.991) changes made here affect the settings in the other sections ?

Quote:
To be honest, it makes only little sense to change the projection individually, so if i would be consequent, i would let the user only transform projection in the original panel for all other parts of the sibl.

Well I could imagine someone who would prefer to use a Mirror Ball Projection for ENV in general
and keep Lat Long for the other images.
(....and I'm always a bit picky when it comes to reducing flexibillity / options Smiley )

Quote:
+ I think the default Filetype values should be set to JPG and HDR or set in the configuration.

After rereading the post, I came to the conclusion, that
the most urgent thing I'll have to implement,
is certainly a more detailed configuration dialog / ini file wich includes
the prefered settings for the import dialog.
(File Type, Projection, Size, Blur).
what do you think ?

Quote:
that's it  Smiley

greetings,
chris

Really good points, and thanks for the input.
chris <o>

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/27/07 at 19:34:38

..to go lil deeper into the proxy/dummy thing:

Blochi, i don't see here any parameter, which will need to be done two or more times on one picture:

* Resizing and remapping will always be based on the original image.
* Tonemapping should also only be done one time based on the hdr original.
* Filtering and blurring only needs enough range (0-250px)

btw, what i also like to see is something like a hue/saturate parameter.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #5 - 04/27/07 at 22:08:18

Hmmm ... double Blur?

But yeah, I agree, it can be irritating at times.

IP Logged

tischbein3
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/23/07 at 06:49:51

new sibl edit preview release
as mentioned in the old forum it does now have a global projection transform in the import dialog, (and pseudo sdr backward compatibility, wich I didn't mentioned) and a better config menu, this version does now have mouseover buttons, and a progress bar for transformation and blur.

link to the preview version:

www.splotchdog.com/sIBLEdittest.zip

shouldn't be any problems with this release

EDIT: Fast rerelease, new version does feature new popups selectors in import dialog, not perfect, but I think they should work.
« Last Edit: 05/23/07 at 07:58:07 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #7 - 05/24/07 at 16:33:14

Super cool, I love the new Config panel. That can totally automate the entire process!
Found a small glitch in the GUI - see attachement

Blochi

interface-glitch.png (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

tischbein3
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/24/07 at 20:10:59

bzzr! small code line swap occurence detected.

glitch fixed, same link Smiley

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #9 - 05/24/07 at 21:58:52

errr ... could it be the Drag-N-Drop doesn'work with the new .ibl file extension ? Neither does the quicklink from my Importer....

IP Logged

tischbein3
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/24/07 at 22:17:44

Shocked
yes,
use link above, or the exe only archive
www.splotchdog.com/sIBLeditexe.zip
(without the freeimage.dll)

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #11 - 05/24/07 at 22:44:07

hurray!

Works great now! Smiley

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #12 - 05/24/07 at 23:06:50

uhmm ... well ... no, not so great.

When an .ibl file is opened through Drad n Drop, it will point to the wrong path when hitting "Save" from the menu. I tried issuing a chdir before calling it, but that doesn't help it either....

IP Logged

tischbein3
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/25/07 at 00:19:50

ofslt!

(ok, fixed, same links, thanks !)

Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print