Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Renaming the project from SDR to sIBL (Read 7873 times)
Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Renaming the project from SDR to sIBL
04/02/07 at 00:55:35

Hi everyone.

This might sound crazy, but I was thinking about the naming of our toolset, and I believe IBL would be a much better name. Because this is what it is ultimately for. Image Based Lighting. SDR sounds only cool when its written all out as Smart Dynamic Range, and even then I find myself explaining what its for and what it is.

Here is why I think it would be better:

- IBL is self-explaining
- can be cought easier by searchengines
- would just stick better in peoples heads as something useful instead yet-another-oddity

Essentially, that would make sdrEdit into IBLedit, sdrImporter into IBLimport or IBLsetup. And our presets would have the extension .ibl

What do you guys think?

Blochi

(title edited by dschaga)
« Last Edit: 04/22/07 at 21:15:53 by N/A »  
IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: Renaming the project
Reply #1 - 04/04/07 at 03:55:05

ahhh .... never mind. SDR is fine.

IP Logged

Gerardo

Reply #2 - 04/05/07 at 13:44:35

Hi Blochi,

Thank you very much for this GREAT tool! and I agree, although SDR is cool when we know what it means, IBL is more convenient for several reasons Smiley

Gerardo

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #3 - 04/16/07 at 18:45:55

Well, yeah....

Wish we could have a vote here.

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/16/07 at 20:45:15

I have no problem when this project will be renamed.

Anyway... ibl also doesn't seems to be the right name, because we use a 3d keylight to render the enviroment with a sun.
Wink

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #5 - 04/17/07 at 15:51:38

yeah, but the sunlight is derived from the image again. And matches the position. That's still very valid for Image Based Lighting. We're still more image based than other programs branded wth that name.

http://www.thereisnoluck.com/plugins_iblTools.php

However, here is a compromise that Chris Huf came up with:

Smart IBL.

I think that is the perfect name. It carries the idea of "smartening up" the HDRI images with a description file. Hints at the fact that it is makig a smart setup. Even the shortened SIBL is a neat play of words - it comes close to "sibling". And that's what our 3 images are: they are brothers and sisters.

Let's do that!

Blochi

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #6 - 04/17/07 at 20:07:44

Allrighty then ...

I have just transitioned everything over, and it was pretty painless.

Simply did a global replace in my code:   
sdr --> sibl
SDR --> SIBL
Smart Dynamic Range --> Smart IBL

Since we are now working off a SIBL Library, I also renamed all .sdr files to .sibl 
This is how it looks now:

(also changed the list to show the Title instead of the Filename, just like in Dschaga's)

It's really quite painless.

Blochi

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #7 - 04/18/07 at 18:29:41

One more thing:

Volxen brought up a good point. We should stick to the 3-letter convention for the file extension.

So that would be .ibl then.

And then I have another tiny request ... can we change the name of that SDR Library into SIBL Collection?  Reason is, that "Library" makes everyone think of a closed system, like a DLL or something. "Collection" makes it more clear what this is.

Blochi

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Re: Renaming the project from SDR to sIBL
Reply #8 - 04/22/07 at 21:18:50

I have renamed the forum title and some boards from SDR to sIBL.

What do we want to do with the url?
Should i leave it as it is, or should i rename it too?

sibl.cgtechniques.com

Blochi, do you have any additonal ideas?
New domain ?
sibl ..is not available, but smartibl.com or smart-ibl.com

The board could be moved to a completly different server if we want - (there are only textfiles and no mysql is needed)

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: Renaming the project from SDR to sIBL
Reply #9 - 04/22/07 at 21:48:43

Good point.

I think sibl.cgtechniques.com would be fine for this dev-board for now.

smartibl.com would be a great release site, and could be forward to this one temporarily. However, not really necessary, since the release would certainly happen in a more "package" look, not people through this forum. Right now that would just create white noise for us.

I do have ideas that go a bit further...

I'm planning on getting one big site together that wraps up everything covered in the book. There is also Picturenaut as new software for HDR merging and tonemapping, which will be released there. The way that IBL chapter is structured right now, is basically a manual explaining why the sIBL setup approach is the best. And it does make a hell lot of sense to group the ressources together with infos on panorama stitching and all that.

So basically, I am planning a site that is valuable for CG artistst, photographers, and panorama photographers. Having people come together from all these directions could encourage them to peek over the fence. More photographers shooting panoramas, more panographers preparing their stuff as sIBL sets. Getting the community together.

That's the idea.
currently I have hdri-handbook.com
trying to get a better domain.

First I gotta get the manuscript in, then I'll take care of the DVD and the site. Working together with a webdesigner there.

Blochi

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print